GCCMC-Conservation Services provides collection surveys specific to your collection needs and required outcomes. The survey then informs the strategic development of collection management plans.
Reasons for collection surveys:
- To collect current information about a collection or building in order to plan, inform budgets or contribute to conservation/preservation programming.
- To quantify or establish a link between a known effect and a possible cause.
- To confirm the performance of materials and programs or compare current conditions with the results of a previous survey.
- A routine survey which collects current information about a collection or building in order to plan budgets and/or conservation programming. This can include a focused collection survey which assesses the condition and conservation needs of individual objects in the collection.
- A diagnostic survey which explores links between known effects and possible causes. For example, an environmental monitoring survey to establish the extent and cause of RH fluctuations in a storage area.
- A validation survey which can confirm the performance of materials and programs, or can compare current conditions with the results of a previous survey. For example, an environmental monitoring survey to compare actual conditions to those recorded by the air conditioning's internal thermostat.